Friday 29 February 2008

Second Life Teacher Training Videos

A few months ago I did some work on a series of teacher training videos for teachers who want to use Second Life, and I'm glad to say these have now been published on Russell Stannard's Teacher Training Videos website.


The series has more than 30 short clips. The clips start from the very basics of registering and setting up your avatar, through, setting up and adjusting voice, taking snapshots, making movies to basic building.

Russell has made an excellent job editing these into two main groups. You can find the easier ones here at Second Life Part 1 and some of the trickier ones here Second Life Part 2.

Russell has built them into a really handy interface, so that they load quickly and you can skip through the index to the ones you want.

This is the first set of movie tutorials I have created using Camtasia Studio and with voice. As you may know, the ones I create for this blog are always silent with 'call out' texts and are created using BBFlashback.

I've always avoided using audio on my own blog ones as I'm a bit self-conscious about my voice and I've felt that using text makes them easier to understand and keeps the file sizes a bit smaller. Any feedback on this would be very welcome as I'm considering changing over and using voice more.

Anyway. I hope you like the videos and find them useful. There's also a wealth of other useful materials on Russell's site, (as I said in my review of it last year) so be sure to check out the rest of it when you get a minute.

Best

Nik

PS: The image above is of my avatar in my Second Life office. Feel free to visit and look around. It's on Edunation Island at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Nik,
Your Second Life training videos are excellent. Your voice is really clear and I would encourage you to go on to more voice use, definitely!
I can certainly recommend these videos to colleagues.
Annie B

Dennis said...

Most useful, Nik. And, as an SL resident who has rented a house, may I ask where those bean bags come from? I've been searching all over for some. Dennis

Nik Peachey said...

Hi Dennis,

I got the relax bean bags from Gavin Dudeney of the Consultants-E http://www.theconsultants-e.com, one of the Edunation Island managers. That's who I rent my office from.

Glad you liked the videos. I'm working on some more which should be available soon.

Best

Nik

Nergiz Kern said...

Thanks for the videos, Ni. Gavin has brought them to my attention. They are useful for newbie teachers as well as EFL/ESL students.

I am also still learning. I wanted to try out recording short movies but it seems the new client either doesn't offer that option anymore or it is hidden somewhere. I would be very happy if you could give me a hint where to find that option now.

I'm looking forward to the new videos.
Thanks!

Nergiz

Nik Peachey said...

Hi Nergiz

I use an independdent software (Camtasia studio ) to make the videos. The SL one seems to crash my computer 95% of the time when I try to use it. Big shame!

Best

Nik

My eBooks and Lesson Plans